Thursday, April 12, 2012

Der Innere Schweinehund

I found this statue at the far end of the Museuemsmeille in Bonn; very much at the distant and unfashionable end. I believe this is a creation of the Danish sculptor Jens Galschiot (but happy to be proved wrong). It is entitled Der Innere Schweinehund.
Before we fans of 'Hogans Heroes' get too carried away, I have it on good authority that the expression 'Schweinehund' is not now nor has it ever been a term of abuse in German. In fact, after much discussion, there is no obvious translation (apart from the very obvious, literal translation of 'pig-dog').
So what is der Innere Schweinehund?
Its all about overcoming one's inner demons to do what one knows is right but what one might be seeking to avoid.
Do I get up and go on my 5km run or do I roll over and go back to sleep? I face my Innere Schweinehund and get out of bad.
Do I follow my diet or have that second piece of black forest cake? I stare my Innere Schweinehund down and have a stick of celery instead.
One phrase used is 'activation energy'; the challenge is to find the energy to face my inner demon and do what I know to be the right thing.
Its such a nice idea and I love that it creates such a conversation as well as failing to easily translate from the German into English.
All of this from finding this quite bizarre statue, tucked away and almost neglected at the far end of the Museum Mile here in Bonn.
It goes to prove that you can never be too sure what is just around the corner.
And it's always worthwhile to find the necessary energy to take an extra look; you may find an absolute gem!

1 comment:

  1. More info here: http://www.aidoh.dk/art_and_events/mib/ukmibdok.htm

    ReplyDelete